Thursday, September 16, 2010

What? You don't have a TV???????

Since we haven't had a TV for almost 10 years now, we are really accustomed to hearing this. People ask but what do you do? And we wonder when would have time to watch TV? But the funniest thing was when my friends Aunt was so shocked that we didn't have TV- she asked "but how do you watch the Novelas?" (Spanish Soap Operas) Notice the question wasn't..."so you don't watch Novelas?" instead it was "well if you don't have a TV then how do you watch them" because of course we must watch them.

But the real reason for this post is to express how I miss talking to people about my favorite entertainment ever...This American Life (TAL). For those of you who don't listen to public radio you are probably imagining some drowning voice with a heavy English accent telling a dry Public-Radio-like story. But I have to say that TAL is just about my favorite thing since sliced bread and I wait anxiously each week for the next one to come out. I day dream about making my episode, the stories I would tell, how I would edit it and the music I would use with it. Often I notice quirky things and then I imagine Ira Glass narrating it and how I could take that one thing and turn it into an episode.

But more than listening to it, I love to talk about it and laugh about and share it with others ...yet here I can't do that since I don't hang with anyone else who listens to it. I miss sharing laughs and discussions over it. And, making connections to my life about it...saying to someone this is just like in that episode of TAL where...blah blah blah. TAL is to me what Novelas are to Colombians, what gossip girl is to my co-worker and what Jersey Shore is to my cousin.

Sometimes I tell people a story from an episode but just isn't the same if you haven't heard it yourself.If you haven't heard it check it out at thislife.org 
If you do listen to it share your thoughts with me.....did anyone one hear last weeks about the guy who was arrested for the comment he put on face book? Laugh out loud funny. Daniel Ross where ever you are and if you are reading....I remember sharing lots of TAL stories with you and the puzzler too...but now I sound like a public radio geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment