Thursday, September 16, 2010

Flakita, Aguita y Mamasita

Have I mentioned the most popular Colombian prefixes and suffixes?

Well they like to play with their language here...and well, it is pretty adorable.

So if they want to say some thing is very....something (or for you bostonains...wicked something) very nice or very cold.... they would say for example...say .very cool would be rechevre....or rechimba. Basically you ad an "re" in the front of the word.

But more commonly used is the "ito" and "ita" The way it works is....you just add it to the end of any word or name and it then becomes small or cute. For example skinny is flaca but little skinny is flakita. Or water is water but if you are the lady who works at my tienda and you add in "ito" to everything then you would call it aquita. Everything she sells is small and cute....quesito. cervesita, papitas...etc. And yes, she calls me Amandita , she is not the only one. And. when they say in a second they say in a little second by saying ratico.


Don't be confused though, this is not baby talk. It can be used with anyone in any situation. Take the moment that actually inspired this blog post.

I am waiting for a meeting with my boss and while I am waiting I am listening to the secretary talk with him and well she addressed him as jefesito. Yes....my little boss. It sounded so cute and so playful and so something you would NEVER call your boss!


Un besito!

No comments:

Post a Comment