Saturday, September 25, 2010

Meanwhile Aaron....


While I was presenting at our Cirricular day Aaron was at the hospital having a endoscopy. A procedure where they put a camera down your throat into your stomach. Since moving here Aaron has developed what they call here gastritus. He has pain in his stomach a lot, he can no longer drink coffee and anything acidic. He really misses coffee.

So this is why he had to have the exam.....obviously I couldn't go with him because I was presenting but he needed to be accompanied by someone because of the anesthesia. So our neighbor offered to take him. But in the end Aaron refused the anesthesia because well he is totally AFRAID of needles. The doctor tried to tell him he should get the anesthesia, that even he the doctor would never do it with out. But Aaron was adamant.

Aaron said the moment the camera entered his throat he could not stop the innner chant inside is head...take it out...take it out...take it out!!!!!!!!!! But the doctor did not take it out for a very long twenty minutes. Aaron's description of the pain, the noises and what he saw was pretty graphic.

Of course as always there was some mis-communication because of the language so we have yet to see the results for the biopsy or meet with the doctor...next week I guess.

The best guess is that he has a bacteria called H-Pylori -Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria that can inhabit various areas of the stomach, particularly the antrum. It causes a chronic low-level inflammation of the stomach lining and is strongly linked to the development of duodenal and gastric ulcer.

The doctor told us that about 90% of Colombians have H-pylori in their stomach (not all have a reaction to it) compared to 40% in the US.

Update soon to come.....

2 comments:

  1. colonoscopy is up your butt- hence the name colon-oscopy. An endoscopy goes down your throat. I only know because I have had the pleasure of both. Get well aaron!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To anonymous- I hope they didn't use the same camera for both procedures.

    To Aaron- I have never seen that side of you before. The IN-side. Bah-Dum-Dum! I'll be here all week folks. Try the veal it is excellent!

    ReplyDelete