Saturday, May 7, 2011

International Dinners & Interesting Stories



While we were traveling our friend had his family visiting from Italy and we offered up our house to them. When we returned they thanked us by making us an Italian Dinner. 

My friend who is half Persian and Half Italian speaks many languages, his mom speaks only Italian, his cousin Italian, English, & Farsi but not Spanish, his girlfriend and her aunt speak only Spanish and Aaron and I in our English and Spanish. 

It was an interesting night for communicating and for story telling.

His cousin had a great energy and as I was talking to her I realized she had an interesting story....and now that I am on the prowl I spent most of my night secretly interviewing her. I told her someday I may have to make a radio show about her life. She was born in Iran and her parents were both Architects  who studied in Italy. When the Iranian revolution hit her family scattered all around the world taken her to Italy where her parents ended up in the Persian rug business (because there were already enough architects in Italy) and they became very successful. Despite their success she had a hard time finding happiness even on the beautiful land that her parents gave to her in the countryside of Florence. Through many strange coincidences and after a failed marriage she ended up in the States and came in contact with a distant relative whom she married. There are many interesting details that could make for a good story. The pros insist that there must be conflict to make a good story.....the thing that caught my attention is when I asked her how she found ended up married to a Persian when she went to the States....and that was when she told me she married her cousin and that it was a long story.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of nights I had when I was living in London :)

    ReplyDelete