Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Escapism & Reflection

When first arriving on this adventure we had never even heard of a blog until a coworker explained that it was a great way to share your experience with friends and loved ones. I remember feeling really hesitant, thinking it was really narcissist (which it is) but in the end we went for it. It really was a great way to share our new life with people back home. When we visited the states we were surprised to find how many people were following and enjoying it. Though I think that is fading I think half of our parents (the main reason we started this) have even stopped following.

Well if you are still following you have probably noticed some big changes over the past few years. The blog started as a way to look at the culture and our travel experiences but now the travel has waned, we have grown more use to the way of life and now the blog is well more like a blog. A boring look into our ideas and thoughts, for which I originally felt guilty but I have come to realize that this blogging thing is kind of therapeutic. So I will continue but don't blame you if you don't.

So why the recent change?

Well instead of mingiling with the locals and going on crazy adventures we have turned into anti-social yuppies who spend their eveninings and weekends locked up in one of Cali's finiest Spa's. Remember when we use to live in our van and sneak into hot tubs. Need I say more?





After we landed the job in UAE we splurged and joined the Intercontinental Hotel Spa, which is conveniently a five minute walk from our house. I never really new that happiness had a smell but come to find out it surely does....happiness smells like steaming eucalyptus escaping from the steam room. This place to me is heaven on earth....well more like heaven in downtown Cali. It is completely silent, always empty, clean, private and my secret garden. This may sound over the top cheezy but that's only because you have never been there.

You step from the noisy streets of Cali into a place full of pure relaxation. People whisper, waterfalls trickle and soft music plays. We sit in hot tubs, saunas, steam baths or pool side in the sun. There is also a gym that we often have to ourselves.

We usually go almost everyday and then we realized by the amount of books we were throwing back and the lack of time we were spending outside of the Inter that it was kind of turning us into hermits. Our friends where beginning to wonder what had become of us. I stagger back and fourth from feeling bliss and guilt but mostly bliss.

But that is why we the blog has morphed from adventures in Colombia to thoughts inside my head. I have been inside my own head way more than I have been in Colombia.

So there it is, the big confession.....hippy turned yuppy in less than two years. I must say though, I would trade it all to be living on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment