Saturday, April 16, 2011

You say Asado I say BBQ

Bland, lacking variety but fresh.
That is how I would describe Colombia cuisine. 

But we have adapted and we eat it every day. And I have learned the difference between eating for fun and eating for energy.

Last weekend when our friends suggested an asado (bbq) on our roof top. I knew what food we would have and that is because every Colombian Asado I have ever been to has been the same. Think over cooked meat, grilled maduros (unripened bananas) chorizo (sausage) and boiled potatoes. 

I wanted a bbq not asado so as the week progressed I started dropping some hints. First question was, "do you guy like to eat thick steaks sometimes" Answer: NO! Strike one. 

So they came with the meat, potatoes and maduros and I decided to throw in some gringo. So I made a greek pasta salad...tangy dressing, tomatoes, basil, olives and cheese. I would say they liked it but on the sides of their plates I found various piles of picked out ingredients; piles of basil and olives mostly.

Locals love the food there. They are passionate about their soups, potatoes and thin meat. It is what they know and it is what they like. And you can find it everywhere, anywhere and it it ALWAYS the same.




Check out the goods on the grille


Take note of the Pasta Salad, oh yeah I made green beans too....usually there is nothing green c:


1 comment:

  1. I think the lack of variety in the food has been the most difficult thing for me to adapt to in Colombia. Like you said, it's fresh and tasty, but sometimes you just want something... else. :) Nice salad!

    ReplyDelete