Saturday, April 16, 2011

MLK

Dreams...


There is something so inspirational and moving about hearing about people living their dreams. They make for great movies, memorable books and emotional radio programs. I personally know so few people who have lived their dream but feel like I have heard a million of these stories. People sacrificing it all for their dream, making it despite the odds. (insert emotional music here)


And...I never really had one. I never dreamed of becoming a teacher, I actually never really even considered it. I definitely didn't spend my childhood day dreaming about slaughtering salmon....although I love it, it was never a dream. I never imagined I would travel the world and if I never imagined it, it was surely never a dream. Maybe when I was really young I had a disillusioned dream of being a ballet dancer. Even though I danced almost five days a week, as I matured I knew I would never be a professional dancer....unless I was to become bulimic and way more driven.

Having a dream is hard work. It takes determination. I definitely wanted to teach internationally before even starting college  but I wouldn't call it a dream. Because with dreams you make them happen or you die trying. If we didn't get a job in Colombia I probably just would have done something different. I am not very driven, I am more like go with what happens. Which is cool but perhaps I am robbing myself from the feeling of conquering a dream.



I have considered having a dream but it sure seems like a lot of pressure. I don't like expectations or pressure. But after a LONG conversation with a very OLD friend I am toying with the idea of having a dream. He, this friend, has even promised to help.....and I need his help. But I am not ready to commit by calling it a dream.


But I may need your help with it someday....one of you may be a part of it. When I semi-retire in two years I want to try to produce a radio-story. I am enamored with radio and even though I have no experience in journalism I listen to a lot of radio and stories. I love the idea of radio, you alone experience someone's story through their words, you are carried along through a mix of voices, perfect pauses and the essential music.  

Things I need figure out...
Everything....
and how to get rid of my lisp and tweak the sound of my voice.


I am only writing this post because Aaron read a Harvard Study that said  if you write a goal down you are much more likely to achieve it.


Here's to trying....

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I have an idea for losing the lisp - do what David Sedaris did and stop using words with the letter s in them:) Wish we we're going to be on the east coast for your visit. Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Danielle...I miss our talks about TAL. Okay starting....I mean beginning tomorrow now words starting ...I mean beginning with s.
    Sorry we won't see you while we are back but I don't even think we will see Brian and Erica...we are only home 5 days and with out access to a car. So we need to plan a reunion for all 6 of us. Thanks for sharing....I mean giving me your ideas. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda-
    I have never heard you lisp!

    Cannot say how much I enjoy your CALI blog writing -the immediacy, honesty, humor, and truth-telling. You would be so good on Radio.
    Hoping your dreams come true,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete