Monday, March 7, 2011

Jealous by Proxy


Infadelity is pretty fashionable here, so it should come as no surprise that people are jealous and overly protective of their partner. It is expected that you keep your partner on a short lease and never let them out of your view. It is for this reason, that our relationship makes others very uncomfortable.

Aaron and I are for sure an extreme case in Colombia and even sometimes at home- meaning we are hardly ever jealous and are totally fine with healthy flirting. This is not flying with our Colombian friends. They have tried to intervene, they constantly ask us..."Amanda, where is Aaron?" or "Aaron, where is Amanda, aren't you worried?" We are NEVER worried. 

 So they have started worrying for us...they are jealous by proxy and even sometimes completely exeggarate situations. Last weekend we were out at a bar and my friends were hounding me...where is Aaron, I am worried,....where is he....blah...blah...blah,... And, when he did show up after talking with a mutual woman friend they told him that I was worried and looking for him. Not true.

Another night at the same place, I was dancing with this guy for like three songs and it was so fun. He was a really fun dancer. I told him I loved dancing with him and he said I should meet him there next Friday...cool. Except while we were talking my friend comes right up and starts saying in Spanish (clearly my dance partner understood) "your husband is so mad and worried, he has been looking for you and he wants to leave." Not true. He was looking for me because I told him I wanted to leave. 

Aaron knows he has nothing to worry about. Finding a good looking man here is like finding a contact lense in a mountain of snow. Seemingly I should be worried since Cali is crawling with hot woman looking  for Gringos but with the language barrier Aaron usually just loses interest..

I say let them be jealous by proxy- then we can just have fun and they can do all the worrying.


2 comments:

  1. amanda, you are so funny! this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh hysterically!!
    Al and I get this alot too!!

    ReplyDelete