Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Last Day of school and talent show

TALENT SHOW
It was a short week because of another religious holiday on Monday, and with a half day on Friday and the million of special assemblies, the week of school flew by. One of the assemblies was a teachers talent show to entertain the students. When this was first announced I saw it as just another of the long list of things that would disrupt the schedule and add to the chaos; I imagined that not too many people would participate. I was very wrong, eventually word came out that almost all the teachers would do something.

video coming soon....


So I tried to convince Aaron that we should dance or do something, he was apprehensive- but with a little cohersing he caved. We practiced all but one and a half times since the last week we were busy packing and getting together with friends in the evening. We decided we would do a rock and rolly- swing dance to an Elvis song. It was a surprise to the kids who were begging us to do something in the show. I told them we would not be performing. Even though Aaron totally blanked out on stage I just told him each step and it went off very well. He hated it and loved being done. I guess all my years of dancing has me use to the stage but he told me that his mind just went blank when we came out. Luckily it was easy to wing.

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
Because we just love to add stress to our life we decided we would leave for Alaska right after school- meaning the kids would be dismissed at 11:35 and then our taxi driver would pick us up at 12:30. At the time of making the plan it seemed totally doable, an hour to prepare and then we would casually say our good-byes and be on our way. Unfortunately, it did not play out that way. Despite the children being dismissed at 11:35, the actual saying good-bye took forever! First off all of my girls were in tears, and the boys begged me to make the stop because they said they didn’t want to cry themselves. These were not just gentle tears, no these girls were wailing, they sounded like a pack of mourning wolves. At first it was touching but shortly it became very comical, even though I had a tears in my eyes thinking about the year, I couldn’t help but laugh at their quivering lips and howling cries. Unfortunately, we were not saved by the bell, because this school has a tradition on the last day of school of all the teachers going to wave good-bye to the school buses as they pull out. But pull out they did not, instead they drove around the loop three or four times honking the horns and waving and sobbing in the windows, I thought it would never end. Between this drawn out good-byes and parents coming by with gifts, 12:30 came all too soon. The taxi driver was calling,we were trying to flee all the while trying to get paid and say our good-byes

1 comment:

  1. Great dance video!!! I think you should enter "America's Got talent contest"

    ReplyDelete