Passing into 2010 in Cali was very nice, I have never really liked New Years Eve always trying to make plans, finding the best party; too much hype. But here you spend it eating with your family and being out in the streets with your neighbors. We flew in on the 31st and as soon as we arrived home we showered and visited with the neighbors. We ate dinner and took to the streets to give kisses and new year wishes to everyone. Here are some of the traditions I mentioned earlier...
Grapes and wine for toasting the New Year. You eat the grapes as the clock strikes 12:00 and as you you eat them you make wishes.
New Years Dinner - Tamales- which are meat and veggies in a corn meal stuffed into a banana leaf and steamed. Behind it is a wonderful condiment of avocado, cilantro and spice.
Here are some people running around the block with their (empty) suit cases; this is meant to bring a year full of traveling.
This is "Ano Viejo" meaning old year. It is a dummy stuffed with gun powder and other fun explosives that symbolizes last year's man and is set to fire at midnight. You have to see the video below to get the true effect.
Aaron, Beatrice, Rafa, Enrique y Don Rafa all waiting to watch the ano viejo.
Here is the video of the two different Ano Viejos that were in our neighborhood.

I totally am making an Ano Viejo next year... hell, I might even make one tonight! I have to get wicked drunk first though.
ReplyDeleteAhhh... explosives and fire and booze.